Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Daily Sport-February 23rd


Ahhh, its Daytona 500 Sunday; I know a lot of you laugh at the thought of calling NASCAR a sport, but bear with me through today’s post (or at least just come back and read tomorrow’s hopefully more relevant to you post). 

 
First of all, I despise the people that say driving a car at the speeds current drivers race around tracks is a feat anyone can do. That is ridiculous on so many levels that I won’t even bother spending time refuting it.  The split-second decision-making, reflex actions, and strategies involved in driving and racing at these speeds are truly incredible. I’m sure those guys over at ESPN’s SportsScience can do a little piece on it (or may have already done one) but like anything else they’ve done, I’d suggest avoiding it. 

I’m not saying NASCAR is worth devoting three-to-four hours of your non-football season Sundays to watching the races; I’m saying sit down for ten to twenty minutes and give it a chance (preferably towards the end of a race).  The potential for drama, excitement, and to be honest, laughter, is around every corner of every race. 

 
I truly believe you haven’t lived until you’ve heard Darryl Waltrip yell out “Boogity Boogity Boogity! Let’s go racin’ boys!” to start a race. It is honestly one of life’s most hilarious, unique, ridiculous aspects only brought to us by sports. Please, do me a favor, have a few drinks (of course, I’m only speaking to those of you of legal-drinking age) and then watch this video withOUT laughing: 


For me, NASCAR is sentimental. My Dad (and his fairly Redneck, but amazing) side of the family taught me among many things this special appreciation of NASCAR. And I honestly mean no negativity through my use of the term “Redneck”; I simply am referring to a lifestyle and culture that I too am a (hopefully fairly small) part of. 


I can remember my Dad planted firmly into his driver’s seat (the reclining couch) watching every NASCAR race in the living room with me in front. I would line up all of the model cars I had of every driver (yes I collected them and my Dad and his die of the family were kind enough to support this and many more of my ridiculous collection habits-remember Pokemon cards-yeah no one could touch my Charizard). They would be ordered along the edges of the coffee table (the same amazing coffee-table that withstood eight college years and many more noon-Tallahassee years of usage and now sits in Jess and I’s home upon which I’m writing this blog) as they were ordered in the race. I loved every minute of it as many a father and son have enjoyed races together.

So do me a favor, pick a random driver or car based on any given criteria whether it be your favorite number, favorite driver, favorite sponsor, or the first one that comes up on Google-just do it, and follow it. Every time you see the bottom-line scroll by on SportsCenter look and see if your driver’s name is listed among the top ten they usually show.  



My personal opinion: How more American can a sport get? I mean come on, how obnoxious do you think it looks to European countries to see the American flags waving, the obsessive beer-drinking, and blatant patriotism only NASCAR could offer? So anything pro-American, sports-related, and loved in the South is obviously going to be found atop my approval board. 



Today will be better than yesterday.

1 comment: